Internet can be a benefit to business when used properly, but internet
is often abused by employees and poses significant liability and
security risks. Used
improperly, the Internet can subject every organization to harassment claims,
countless hours of lost productivity and innumerable security leaks and
Several important risks caused by improper internet usage:
1. Virus Infection
2. Lost Productivity
3. Legal liability
4. Bandwidth consumer
So it is necessary for you to restrict employees internet access on your network.
To achieve this goal, first you need an internet access policy, which should be able to:
1. Clarify what constitutes acceptable use of Internet services.
2. Ensure employees understand who to contact with questions regarding acceptable use.
3. Ensure employees understand the penalties that arise from Internet misuse.
4. Help lessen an organization’s spyware and virus infestation rates.
5. Provide human resources with signed documentation from each employee stating a pledge not to improperly use Internet services.
6. Help mitigate productivity losses.
7. Decrease dependence upon technology solutions used to enforce employee behavior.
8. Reduce the organization’s liability resulting from harassment claims, copyright violations originating onsite and other illegal acts.
You also need an internet filtering product to assure your internet policy. Let’s take “WFilter Enterprise” as an example, it enables you to monitor and filter internet access for all computers from a mirroring port of your switch. You only need to install WFilter in one computer to monitor the whole network.
- Keep a detailed record of each web surfing and web posting.
- Record all incoming and outgoing email content and attachment.
- Monitor and archive instance messengers chat contents and activities.
- Monitor and archive files transferred by web, ftp and IM tools.
- Implement a policy to filter internet access during working hours.
- Websites, messengers and p2p file downloading can be blocked to save bandwidth and raise productivity.
- You only need to install WFilter in ONE computer to manage your whole network.