WFilter NG firewall has a built-in group “punish group”. With this punish group, you can add clients to the penalty box for a period of time.
Please note, “punish group” is a virutal group, you also can add your own virtual group, eg: “expired users” or “trial users”…
1. Add a client into the punish group.
In realtime bandwidth, by click “kill” icon in “connections”, you can add a client into the punish group for a period of time. Your own virtual group will also appears here.
2. Clients in the punish group.
3. Remove a client from the penalty box
To remove a client from the penalty box, you can wait for punish timeout, or click “reset default” in “unblock and reset”.
4. Set “access policy” and “bandwidth” policy for the punish group.
In “Access Policy” and “Bandwidth”, you can set policy for the punish group. For example, set “bandwidth shaper” for “punish group” to have only 20kb download rate limit.
To get it working, you need to use the “ntdsutil” tool to modify “MaxPageSize”. The below screenshot demonstrates the steps to set “MaxPageSize” to 5000. No reboot is required. The new setting is applied after “commit changes”.
A more detailed step can be found at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315071
After enlarge the “maxpagesize”, WFilter is able to sync AD users.
Nowadays, most business networks provide WiFi service. However, WiFi makes it more difficult for IT administrator, because:
- There are much more devices in network.
- Various operation system(IOS, Andriod, Windows).
- Most wifi clients have dynamic ip addresses.
- Can not distinguish pc and mobile phone.
- Can not identify mobile users.
WFilter can help you to override these issues, and get your WiFi network manageable.
1. Identity Client Operation System
In “realtime bandwidth”, “online users” of WFilter, you can get a clients list, with IP, MAC, OS…
2. Various Authentication Solutions
- IP-MAC Binding, only bound ip-mac pairs have internet access. Please check: IP-MAC Binding
- Web Authentication, only authenticated users have internet access. Please check: Web Auth
3. Blocking, filtering and recording
You can set internet access policy by IP addresses, MAC addresses and usernames. In a DHCP network, you can set policy based on MAC addresses, so changing of IP has no influence.
In the recording feature of WFilter, you also can track internet usage( web activities, email activies) of Wi-Fi clients. Even mobile phone brand and model can be detected.
WFilter NGF also have a powerful report&statistics system to get detailed web/bandwidth reports.
5. ISP Management.
The ISP management module of WFilter integrates user authentication, bandwidth rate limit, accounting, and notification features. With this ISP module, you can get your ISP business running without the need of other products. For details, please check: ISP management in WFilter NGF.
WFilter extentions also help for WiFi network mangement. For example:
- Network clients scan extension: scan the list of network clients.
- Nat discover: discover clients who are sharing their internet.
Facebook Wi-Fi lets customers check in to participating businesses on Facebook for free Wi-Fi access. When people check in to your Page, you can share offers and other announcements with them. Official Facebook Wi-Fi guide can be found at here.
A recent update of WFilter NG firewall added support of “Facebook Wi-Fi”. Together with “wechat WiFi”, WFilter provides a solution for social network marketing of your business.
This post demonstrates the steps to enable “Facebook Wi-Fi”.
1. Add a local user for facebook checkin.
2. Enable “Facebook Wi-Fi” in “Web Auth”->”Thirdparty Auth”.
3. Click “Register Facebook Page” to associate WFilter with your business facebook page.
4. Now client devices will be redirected to the login page.
On visits to http webpage, clients will be redirected.
5. Click “check in“ to continue web browsing.
A more detailed guide can be found at here: Webauth of WFilter NG Firewall.
An email client receives emails via POP/IMAP protocols, sends emails via SMTP protocol. In today, SSL encryption is widely used for email clients. There are two kinds of SSL encryption: “SSL Connection” and “STARTTLS”.
WFilter Enterprise is an internet content monitoring and filtering software program, which can monitor a whole network from one pc, without the need to install any client agent.
With WFilter, you can monitor employee emails usage of plain SMTP/POP/IMAP.
1. Click “Emails” number in “Online Users”.
2. You will see a list of sent/received emails.
Click the “Subject” link will be able to check the email content.
3. Query email history in “Query History Logs”.
Please note that “WFilter Enterprise” can only monitor plain pop3/smtp/imap emails. To monitor SSL emails, you need to check SSL Email Inspection feature of “WFilter NG Firewall“.